Friday, July 6, 2012

My Green Smoothie Recipe...

Some days, this can be more purple than it is green. Depends on the cherry : blueberry : kale ratio.

1 cup frozen organic blueberries - 80 calories
1 handful of walnuts (1/4 cup approx) - 190 calories
1 medium organic banana - 105 calories
2 tbsp milled organic golden flax - 70 calories
1 tsp salba (heirloom chia) - 22 calories
1 tsp raw maca powder - 20 calories
2 - 3 cups organic green kale (substitute organic spinach (7 calories a cup) or do a combo)  ~100 calories
1 cup frozen organic cherries - 150 calories
2 cups unsweetened, unflavored, almond milk - 70 calories
1 small steamed baby beet - 16 calories

Makes about 40 oz (5 cups) typically.  Total calories:  ~893 max or 179 calories / 8oz (1 cup).

Maybe one day I'll try to figure out the actual protein/carb/fat/fiber/etc ratios and the vitamin and mineral contents but I think, just from ball-parking things, that I have a pretty good thing going on.  And I actually like how it tastes.  The more kale and/or spinach you put in, the thicker it gets and I just keep mine in the fridge to keep it cold.

It usually takes me about 20 minutes to make from start to finish, including clean-up.  I just pack it all in to our Cuisinart food processor/blender and let 'er rip.

I'll drink 8 oz of this 1 hour before a run.  And, 12 - 16 oz immediately after a run, usually along with a nice 6 - 8 oz of medium cooked sirloin or flank steak.  That's my recovery grub, and I find it works much better for me than any kind of whey protein isolate (or similar) recovery beverage (GU, Hammer, etc).  The rest of the 16 - 20 oz augments my breakfast and multiple snacks throughout the day - along with a ton of fruit.

On days that I don't run, I treat the 12 -16 oz of smoothie and the beef as lunch, and again, the remainder of the smoothie augments my breakfast and snacks.

Something I'd like to try adding to the recipe is pumpkin seeds.  Love me the pumpkin seeds.




No comments:

Post a Comment