Tuesday, June 19, 2012

My Training Diet

Here is my Training Nutrition Food List.  It's based on a combination of Paleo for Athletes and The Blood Type Diet (I'm type 'O').  I have it broken into categories that are 'Best foods to eat - most beneficial to me', 'Good foods to eat - beneficial to me', 'Neutral foods to eat - neither beneficial, nor harmful' and 'Post-Workout foods only'.

No wheat, rice, or any other grains.  No dairy.  No potatoes.  Nothing processed.

I have a really hard time sticking to it 100% seeing as I'm the only one in my household that is attempting to do this. My wife likes to bake - pies, cakes, cookies, cupcakes, etc. - and she likes to cook - you name it, she makes it. She's very good at modifying recipes to substitute more healthful ingredient options (whole wheat flour for white flour as an example) or to decrease things like sugar and butter. And though she cooks and bakes with the most healthy, and typically organic, ingredients, the problem for me is that there is usually still wheat, cheese, milk, or something else I'm supposed to stay away from involved.

Cutting out dairy has probably been the easiest thing for me to give up, but, I do have a weakness for Ice Cream and a pint of Ben & Jerry's at my house is always in mortal danger.

Basically, when I follow the list I feel good and run pretty well.  When I binge and eat crap, I feel crap and run crap.  Simple as that.

Best:
Beef - Sirloin steak, Lean Flank, London Broil, Chuck
Beet / Greens
Bison
Blueberrries
Broccoli
Cayenne
Cherries
Chicory
Cod
Collards
Curry
Dulse
Flax / Oil
Garlic
Halibut
Kale
Kelp
Olive Oil
Onions
Parsley
Red Snapper
Seaweed
Spinach
Sweet potato
Swiss chard
Turmeric
Walnut

Good:
Almonds
Artichoke
Bananas
Bass
Carob
Figs
Ginger
Lean veal
Lettuce
Mangos
Mushrooms
Parsnip
Pineapple
Plums
Pumpkin / Seed
Stripped bass
Turnips / Greens
Venison

Neutral:
Asparagus
Carrots
Celery
Crab
Cranberry
Eggs
Grapefruit
Herring
Jalepeno
Lemon
Lime
Lobster
Muskmelon
Orange Roughy
Oysters
Papaya
Peaches
Pear
Raspberry
Salmon
Scallops
Shrimp
Squash
Tomato
Tuna
Watermelon

Post Workout Only:
Dates
Raisins

No comments:

Post a Comment