Saturday, September 24, 2011

Bear Chase Tomorrow...

I picked up my race packet today, so it's on.


My runs leading up to the race haven't been good.  Legs are tired, heavy, and weak and I have zero energy.  A tiny bright spot was my run last night on the treadmill; 4mi, 2% incline at 12:00ish pace.  I felt just 'OK', which is way better than I have been feeling.  Super tight calves at the start, but a short walk sorted them out.

In the two weeks following my 50km attempt I've done 28mi (with one 1/2 marathon distance in there), and 13.5mi (taper week).  My big concern isn't the distance so much right now (though I know it's going to be brutal), but my stomach.  I have almost a constant dull pain, and occasionally a severe stabbing pain like I talked about in my previous post.  I've been trying to narrow it down to something I'm eating maybe, but nothing is a smoking gun.  Maybe I have an ulcer?  My doc was useless when I talked to him about it - may be time to find a new GP.

Race Strategy: 'EZ duz it.'  I'm going to start out at a fast walk and ease into it.  It's going to be 85 degrees'ish tomorrow so I'm going to really watch my fluids - I'll do a 50/50 H2O and PowerBar Perform.  I had to switch from S! Caps to Salt Stick since I've misplaced my S! Caps and there wasn't enough time to order more.  I've never used them before so it's a risk that I'll have to take.  GU Roctane on the 1/2 hours and I'm going to try to eat at the aid stations as much as possible.  I'm thinking pretzels and watermelon mostly.  I have 12 hours to go 50mi.  There is a 8.5 hour cutoff to start lap 4 of 4 (37.5mi).  So, I need to average better than 14:24 pace over the duration.

My Goal:  Finish.

You can track online here:  http://goo.gl/ufIot

and here:  http://goo.gl/aL3Me

No comments:

Post a Comment